Frequently Asked Questions

International Student Application

  1. Are there any ESL classes for International Students (F-1)?
    Burlington County College has a comprehensive, multi-level English as a Second Language (ESL) program. However, the College cannot issue an I-20 for English study only since it doesnt offer an Intensive Language Training program. Therefore, prospective students must have sufficient English skills to enter Level I of the ESL program.

  2. What is the application process?
    Once a student has submitted a complete application with all supporting documents and materials, the International Program Specialist will make a determination of acceptance within two weeks. If you are accepted for admission, the form I-20 will be sent to the address you indicate for this purpose. You will need to make an appointment with the American Embassy in your country and present the acceptance letter, I-20 form and SEVIS fee payment to obtain the F-1 visa.

  3. When can I start my studies at BCC?
    Due to the full time requirement and the limited courses offered during the Summer semester, international students are only admitted for the fall and spring semesters. The deadline for Fall Semester is June 30th; Spring deadline is November 30th.

  4. How many credits do I have to take to maintain my F-1 Student Visa status? 
    International students must pursue a full-time course of study during the regular academic year (complete at least 12 credits per semester). A grade must be received in each course, if you receive a grade of NA (never attended) or ST/SR(Failure due to absence) in any of your courses this does not count as a completed course and you will be considered in violation of your status.

  5. What are the programs of study?
    To view the Academic Credit Program List, Click Here.

  6. What is the difference between an Associate of Arts/Sciences (A.A./A.S.) and Associate of Applied Science (AAS)?
    A.A./A.S. are two year programs equivalent to the first two years of a Bachelors degree; these programs enable students to transfer credits and continue their studies at a four year institution.
    Associate of applied science programs are two year degrees which prepare the student for the workforce immediately after completing their studies. Examples include majors in Nursing, Business Management Technology.

  7. Can I work while I study?
    Students may be eligible in some cases to work during their studies. Information regarding working while in F-1 status can be found by visiting the Employment link.

  8. Is housing available on campus?
    BCC is a commuter college with 12 convenient locations in Burlington County. We do not provide or locate housing. All prospective international students must obtain local housing before they can be accepted. Funding for all costs (housing, tuition & fees, books & supplies, transportation & personal) must be proven to be available for at least two years of study (see Tuition and Expenses Sponsor Certification Form and Affidavit of Support form).

  9. Can I enroll in online classes?
    Students must take at least 9 hours of classes on a Burlington College campus and then may take 3 or more hours of online classes.

  10. Can I study part-time ?
    F-1 students must be enrolled in a full course of study (12 credit hours). Individuals who do not require F-1 status can generally directly enroll in the school to take a course or two, although they should always make sure this does not violate their current immigration status.

  11. Do I need a Social Security number?
    A social security number (SSN) is a nine digit number issued to US citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents for tax purposes. Unless you have previously worked in the United States and have applied for a SSN, students will not have a number and should leave this blank on their application.

  12. How much time do I need to complete my degree?
    The International Office provides students 2 years to complete their program requirements. The amount of time students actually need to complete their studies can be affected by many factors such as transferring foreign credentials, class scheduling conflicts, limited course offerings during the given semester, the need for additional preparatory courses, etc.

  13. What kind of Immunizations/Vaccinations are necessary?
    Burlington County College requires immunizations for MMR (measles, mumps, rubella).Students have a variety of options regarding immunizations.
    1.) If you HAVE already received the immunizations, you can mail a copy of the doctors record to the International Office OR you can return to where you received your immunizations and have the doctor fill out the Immunization form on the BCC Admissions Application.
    2.) If you HAVE NOT received the immunizations, students can obtain the immunizations at a clinic or at a doctors office and then have the doctor fill out the form at that time. Students will be considered for admission to the college without providing immunization records, but they must submit records to the Health Services Office or receive the immunizations there BEFORE commencing their studies at BCC.

  14. Are scholarships or financial aid available international students?
    Students in F-1 status are not eligible to apply for Federal Financial Aid. 

  15. What is a PDSO or DSO?
    PDSO is an acronym for Primary Designated School Official. DSO is an acronym for Designated School Official. Your P/DSO is the admission counselor who will assist you in the admission process and serve as your international student contact throughout your entire academic career at Burlington County College.

  16.  When can I apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
    If you are applying for pre-completion OPT (part-time OPT while you are still pursuing a full course of study), you can apply as soon as you have been in lawful F-1 Visa status for at least one academic year. If you are applying for post-completion OPT (full time OPT after you complete your studies) you can submit your request up to 120 days before you complete your studies. Please consult with your P/DSO for more details.

  17. Can I travel while on my F-1 student visa?
    Yes, students may travel during breaks or for emergencies. If you are traveling within or outside of the United States, you must consult your P/DSO for a travel endorsement on your I-20 and other information.

  18. How long can I remain in the United States after I finish my degree?
    If you are not pursuing another degree or practical training, you must depart the United States within sixty (60) days of completing your program of study. Note: your program of study ends when you finish all coursework for your degree not after graduation ceremony.

  19. What happens if I fall out of status as an international student?
    There are many ways one can fall out of status. If you think you are or will become out of status, please contact your P/DSO as soon as possible to get information about your options.

  20. Who is responsible for understanding and following the rules and regulations of being an F-1 Visa student?
    You are! However, if at any time you have questions or are unsure about any issue concerning your visa status, please contact your P/DSO. Your P/DSO is here to help you succeed at Burlington County College!